Job opportunities that come to our attention are posted here as a service to members. Please send job announcements to Phil Freshman.
Currently, there is one job opportunity available.
Menil Collection, Houston
Assistant/Associate Editor, Publications Department
Work with the Head of Publications to produce scholarly exhibition catalogues, artist monographs, books on the permanent collection and archives, and take primary responsibility for gallery guides for the exhibitions and the collection.
- Oversee the production of gallery guides and other curatorial-department exhibition-related ephemera, including editing, fact-checking, proofreading, schedule and budget management,
supervising and hiring external contractors, and coordinating with various Menil departments.
- Assist the Head of Publications with the production of book and Web-based publications on exhibitions, collection, and archives; duties may include editing, proofreading, image acquisition and management, fact-checking, schedule and budget management, and coordinating with multiple departments as well independent contractors.
- Proofread and edit texts and labels to maintain the Menil’s quality standards and style guidelines. Perform research and fact-checking on texts.
- Create and monitor project budgets and production schedules.
- Manage images for publication and work with the Menil’s Imaging Services Specialist to acquire and track permissions and ensure that contractual obligations are met.
- Manage the shipping, inventory, and distribution of Menil publications; includes dealing with printers, shippers, and customs agents as required, managing both on-site and off-site storage, and maintaining all associated databases.
- Perform Publication Department administrative tasks, including maintenance of publishing style sheets and templates, SharePoint page, books/Bookstore Web presence, and tracking of invoices and payments.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in the humanities (preferably in English or art history); MA preferred.
- At least three years of relevant publishing experience, preferably in either a museum or university press environment.
- Highly organized and detail-oriented, and able to set priorities and juggle competing demands.
- Advanced copyediting and proofreading skills.
- Familiarity with the Chicago Manual of Style.
- Requires tact, diplomacy, teamwork, and the ability to collaborate with a wide range of project participants in a positive, team-based environment under deadline pressure.
- Must be self-motivated and able to work independently.
- Strong interest in and knowledge of art and art history.
- Proficiency in FileMaker and the Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, et al.). Adobe, Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign skills a plus.
Salary and benefits are competitive and commensurate with experience. Please send résumé, cover letter with salary expectations, and two references to: Human Resources, the Menil Collection, 1511 Branard Street, Houston, TX 77006. Application materials may also be emailed to:
Posted on this site 6/20/18.